Toastmasters International’s Competent Communication manual contains 10 projects to be completed in order to earn your Competent Communicator award.
You will receive this manual as a part of your New Member’s Kit. This kit is sent to you by Toastmasters International headquarters after you become a full member of Moscow Free Speakers Club.
Below you can find the themes, brief objectives and timing for each of the 10 projects within the CC manual.
Project 1: The Ice Breaker (4 to 6 minutes)
- To begin speaking before an audience
- To discover speaking skills you already have and skills that need some attention
You can download the Ice Breaker project description from our website.
Project 2: Organize Your Speech (5 to 7 minutes)
- Select an appropriate outline which allows listeners to easily follow and understand your speech
- Make you message clear, with supporting material directly contributing to that message
- Use appropriate transitions when moving from one idea to another
- Create a strong opening and conclusion
Project 3: Get To The Point (5 to 7 minutes)
- Select a speech topic and determine its general and specific purposes
- Organize the speech in a manner that best achieves those purposes
- Ensure the beginning, body and conclusion reinforce the purposes
- Project sincerity and conviction and control any nervousness you may feel
Project 4: How To Say It (5 to 7 minutes)
- Select the right words and sentence structure to communicate your ideas clearly, accurately and vividly
- Use rhetorical devices to enhance and emphasize ideas
- Eliminate jargon and unnecessary words. Use correct grammar
Project 5: Your Body Speaks (5 to 7 minutes)
- Use stance, movement, gestures, facial expressions and eye contact to express your message and achieve your speech’s purpose
- Make your body language smooth and natural
Project 6: Vocal Variety (5 to 7 minutes)
- Use voice volume, pitch, rate and quality to reflect and add meaning and interest to your message
- Use pauses to enhance your message
- Use vocal variety smoothly and naturally
Project 7: Research Your Topic (5 to 7 minutes)
- Collect information about your topic from numerous sources
- Carefully support your points and opinions with specific facts, examples and illustrations gathered through research
Project 8: Get Comfortable With Visual Aids (5 to 7 minutes)
- Select visual aids that are appropriate for your message and the audience
- Use visual aids correctly with ease and confidence
Project 9: Persuade With Power (5 to 7 minutes)
- Persuade listeners to adopt your viewpoint or ideas or to take some action
- Appeal to the audience’s interests
- Use logic and emotion to support your position
- Avoid using notes
Project 10: Inspire Your Audience (8 to 10 minutes)
- To inspire the audience by appealing to noble motives and challenging the audience to achieve a higher level of beliefs or achievement
- Appeal to the audience’s needs and emotions, using stories, anecdotes and quotes to add drama
- Avoid using notes
If you lost your Competent Communication manual, you can buy it at Toastmasters International online store.
You should also get in touch with our club officers and they will provide you with a temporary replacement.